Detox is a popular buzzword, but what does it mean? What is a detox with an IV infusion, and perhaps more importantly, does it work?
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CphT) Beth VanWormer and IV Specialist Anthony Spardello at Vitality IV in Providence, RI, can help you answer all of your Detox IV questions and guide you toward a treatment that is best for you.
What is detox?
Detox, or detoxification, is the use of supplements, diet, or other products to rid the body of harmful toxins. The expulsion of toxins from a body can promote weight loss and improve overall health.
The human body is well-equipped to eliminate toxic substances through its normal bodily functions and organs, such as the liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin, and lungs. There are, however, ways to fortify the body’s already strong detox system.
Where do these harmful toxins come from?
A variety of foods and behaviors can cause toxins to accumulate in the body. These include:
1. Alcohol. The vast majority (over 90%) of alcoholic drinks are metabolized in the liver. Enzymes in the liver will metabolize alcohol by turning it into acetaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Recognizing acetaldehyde as a toxin, the liver then converts it to acetate, which is later eliminated from your body.
Excessive drinking severely damages the liver by causing inflammation, scarring, and fat buildup. When the liver cannot function normally, toxins build up in the body.
2. Lack of sleep. Sleep allows the brain to recharge and to remove wasteful substances that have built up in the body throughout the day. Without adequate sleep your body does have the time to perform those functions, allowing toxins to build up.
Inadequate sleep has been linked to adverse conditions in the body such as stress, high blood pressure, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
3. Sugar. Most adults take in more sugar than they should. A high sugar intake can cause fatty liver, a condition that hinders the proper function of the liver. Eating foods high in sugar content, such as processed foods, for example, can also lead to diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. These conditions block natural abilities by harming the liver and the kidneys’ abilities to detox the body.
4. Inactivity. Long periods of inactivity can lead to inflammation. Some inflammation, including that associated with infection response and wound-healing, is healthy. Too much of it, however, weakens the body and promotes disease.
Regular exercise reduces inflammation and therefore helps your body’s systems – including its detox system, function properly and protect against disease.
5. Dehydration. The benefits of proper water intake are many: it helps to regulate body temperatures, helps digestion, and the absorption of important nutrients. It also spurs the removal of waste from the body through urination, breathing, and sweating.
How IV Infusions Help Detoxification
An IV infusion delivers hydration, vitamins, amino acids, and other essential nutrients directly into the veins for benefits that are immediate and lasting. The main benefit of IV infusions is that these essential nutrients are absorbed directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive process.
For example, when vitamins and supplements are ingested, they have to traverse the entire digestive system before being metabolized by the liver. During that long journey, the majority of the vitamins and supplements are lost or excreted before being absorbed. As a result, important nutrients are lost.
The absorption rate with IV infusions is 100%, ensuring that no nutrients are lost.
For More Information
Beth VanWormer, CphT, and Anthony Spardello at Vitality IV can help explain how infusions can help you feel your best. Call (401) 443-4007 or visit our contact page to conveniently make an appointment online today.